Tuesday, June 6

Life in Band (1999-2003): An Intro


In dedication to my "loving" Juniors;
Yi Ling, and the rest in the Percussion section


Regardless of what people might have said about "our band" in the past, I am nonetheless Honored to be part of the CBN School Band. Being a part of this organization had solidify my beliefs of life, and at the same time, left me with wonderful memories of my high school days in that tiny, yet nostalgic room-the band room...

Having said that, allow me to present you a flashback of my memories of my life in school band.

I still vividly remember, the first day I attended the meeting. It was on a Friday morning, at the AVA room - a room situated right at the corners of the primary school. I knew no one, but one person, Beulah, who happened to be a classmate of mine. She, however, did not end up in the school band because of the commitment that was required. We were lectured on the expectations they had for us. It shocked most of us when we were told that we had to sign a contract (something that I still think is the lamest thing to do) in order to join the organization. That, however, did not stop me from wanting to be a part of the big family.

Shortly after, Mr. Koh (our band instructor) asked us to write down three names of instruments that we were interested in. I scribbled in my little piece of paper:


1. Percussion
2. Flute
3. "Sexy-phone"


Why? I'll tell you why. First and foremost, I had absolutely no idea what would happen if I took up huge instruments like the tuba or trombones. I chose percussion because of my confidence in rhythm and beats, having learned piano for several years; flute, because of the nature of the instrument (I was under the impression that it was light and required less effort for it to sound); and lastly, the sax as I thought that it would be cool to be able to play that instrument. Due to the popularity of the percussion section, several of us had to take a test to show our sense of rhythm. Having triumph in this test, I officially became part of the Percussion section, a section that I took pride of as being THE COOLEST section in the entire band!

to be edited...
Its going to be helluva long =.="

2 comments:

YL said...

:O

yeah...
percussion rocks!!!!

neway...sign contract??? you serious?

wow...i think we should do that also....=P

ManEe said...

hahah.. sign contract?
i duno what the hell happened to those contracts